Monday, March 15, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes and Frosting


My friend, Laura, has a son with a nut and dairy allergy and gave me these recipes. Honestly, I was skeptical. I'm not really crazy about cupcakes (apparently I am the only one...). I think they are cute but eating them (especially frosting) is not my thing. That being said, these cupcakes are really good. Very moist and chocolatey. I made them for our playgroup for AJ's birthday and they were a hit except with my son who is apparently just like his momma. I'm making cookies for his birthday next year. He likes those better apparently.
Chocolate Cupcakes
* 3 cups flour
* 2 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup dairy-free 100% cocoa powder (she told me that I could use Hershey's, so I did)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups water
* 2/3 cup vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat with spoon or wire whisk just until batter is smooth and ingredients are well-blended.
Line 24 cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners. Fill cupcakes almost full. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until done. Let cool on wire racks and then frost.
Makes 24 cupcakes (or 22 in my case)
Chocolate Frosting
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) dairy-free margarine, room temperature (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread, found in the fridge in the health food section of the grocery store)
* 2 1/2 tablespoons of honey
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup dairy-free 100% cocoa powder
* 2 1/2 tablespoons of water
* 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Place margarine, honey and vanilla in mixing bowl. Sift cocoa into this bowl. Using electric beaters at low speed, cream these ingredients together. Add water and sift powdered sugar into mixture. Beat with eletric mixer on medium speed until well mixed.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups of frosting

No comments: